Dedicated software for business
Dedicated software for business is an often considered subject in organizations. Nowadays there is plenty of ready-made business related software on the market (off the shelf). Another solution that can be implemented is dedicated software created according to client's recommendations. A dedicated solution advantages the business over its competition because it is more suited to the needs and abilities of a company to implement its own innovative ideas. However, such solutions usually entail a higher initial cost. The following article considers the advantages and disadvantages of dedicated apps.
Contact us. We are happy to talk about your needs and prepare an offer.
Institute of Literary Research
"ImpiCode managed the project well, adhering to the budget and taking scope changes in stride. The responsive and patient team provided actionable suggestions. Management and executives were communicative and readily available."
Researcher Institute of Literary Research
The advantages and disadvantages of dedicated software solutions
- The software is designed for the specific needs of a particular client. That means better customization options.
- Over time, the system is easier to maintain and to expand with new functionalities. It responds better to the dynamically changing reality of business.
- Integration with other company systems is much easier in dedicated systems. Off the shelf software does not usually have this ability.
- After creating a dedicated system, most often the client acquires the rights to the source code, meaning that the client becomes provider-independent and can further develop the same software but in cooperation with another business partner. In the case of a ready-made product, a change of provider can be very costly. All the data has to be exported, processed and imported into the new system. And the new system may reflect the business processes in a different way and may require re-training of the staff.
- Soon after deployment some dedicated systems might experience problems upon initial release. It is necessary to take into account that at the beginning errors may appear and it is normal at this stage. It is due to the fact that the users of a new system are the very first users. Not all errors can be found at the stage of software testing by developers. Off the shelf software is usually well tested by many real life users.
- Time needed to create and deploy the system is usually longer. The off the shelf software usually can be used much sooner, but it probably won’t model all the processes and won't fully cover the specificity of the company's actions. The time needed to start deriving benefits from the new dedicated system can be reduced by gradually building and deploying autonomous modules.
Dedicated software created by ImpiCode
Here at ImpiCode we build comprehensive and easy-to-use dedicated software. We deal with IT systems of all varieties. Our company works on creating not only desktop and web but also mobile solutions. We create front-ends and back-ends; as well as the embedded systems for various platforms. We design, build, and integrate systems in the following categories:
- data management system
- order management system
- reporting modules
- business intelligence solutions
- systems for B2B contracts
- systems for B2C contracts
- e-commerce solutions
- other systems for individual needs
Dedicated IT system – what you need to know
Creating dedicated software for a company requires a sophisticated preparation phase. Below is a checklist for a company considering the deployment of a dedicated system:
- Estimate your budget – dedicated software usually requires a dedicated budget. The size of the budget is a primary factor in the scaling of human investment. This is why it is necessary to predetermine the size of the budget for the project.
- Estimate the schedule – determining the time needed to build and deploy an IT system is a challenge, even for IT specialists. Nevertheless even a rough estimation is strategically useful. Think about the latest acceptable deadlines for particular components.
- Prioritize – we very often deal with clients who want their tailor-made system completed and deployed as a whole, with all the bells and whistles. This is a serious mistake. Resources for creating IT systems are always constrained, making it necessary to establish priorities and create, first and foremost, the essential aspects that will help save time and money. All the fancy features should wait. The proper prioritization is half the battle.
- Build incrementally – after defining priorities, we put the plan into action. Dedicated software should be designed, created, and implemented module by module.
- Prepare a preliminary analysis – every step to organize your thinking about incoming dedicated software make sense.
- Prepare for deployment – deploying dedicated software for running in a medium or large company present many challenges. Put in order all processes and information flows in your company. Draw up implementation instructions. Think about which modules should be tested in the first place. Configure a pilot group for system testing. Don't be surprised if at the beginning the system can cough. Under such circumstances, it might be temporarily necessary to go back to doing things the way they were being done originally before it.
- Be aware of the challenge. Creating software entails an elaborate process. Bare in mind, most IT projects fails. For this logical reason, focusing on the efficient implementation of the system with fewer functionalities, but deployed company-wide, usually yields better results than trying to create complex and feature rich dedicated software.
Dedicated programs compromise a very wide category of IT solutions for companies. They include:
- mobile applications
- embedded systems
- web applications
- desktop applications
- SaaS systems
In ImpiCode we build solutions fitting all of these categories.
If you want to find out more about dedicated software or need a similar solution – write to us via the contact form.